The history of JSC NPO Drilling Equipment begins in 1953, when, according to the Decree of the Council of Ministers of the USSR, VNIIBURNEFT was organized, renamed VNIIBT in 1957 (All-Union Scientific Research Institute "Drilling Equipment").
In 1980, by order of the USSR Ministry of Oil and Gas Industry, VNIIBT was appointed the leading institute in the country for the construction of oil and gas wells.
By order of the Ministry of Oil and Gas Industry in 1991, the State Enterprise NPO Drilling Equipment was established, the head structural unit of which was determined by VNIIBT. In 1996, by order of the Ministry of Property, this enterprise was transformed into JSC NPO Drilling Equipment.
Over the years, VNIIBT has made an outstanding contribution to the creation of new drilling equipment and technology, as well as to the training of highly qualified scientists for the industry.
Among the large number of completed and implemented in the oil and gas industry of the country , R & D should be highlighted:
- creation of downhole hydraulic engines (turboshaft and screw engines) and technologies of their operation.
- creation of rock-breaking tools for drilling oil, gas wells and mining industry.
- creation of equipment and technology for the construction of directional and horizontal wells, as well as side shafts.
- project development and engineering support for the construction of the Kola super-deep record well SG-3 with a depth of 12262 m.
Licenses for turboburbs, screw engines, threaded connections of the oil grade developed at VNIIBT were purchased by leading engineering and service companies in North America, Europe and Japan.
In 1971, VNIIBT was awarded the Order of the Red Banner of Labor for outstanding achievements and contribution to the development of domestic drilling equipment and technology.
At present, highly qualified specialists, doctors and candidates of sciences work in JSC NPO Drilling Equipment. The team solves complex, relevant engineering and scientific tasks facing the oil and gas industry.